Job: Sales/Business Development Lead
- - Initially/mainly a home based role
- - Employment Status: Self-employed Contractor (paid upon invoicing Dr Heff’s)
- - Remuneration: paid hourly, competitive remuneration with commission
- - Commission: paid on profitable sales (commission paid on sales exc VAT & postage/packaging)
- - Hours per week: commencing at 10-15 hours per week, rising to 15-20 hours per week, potentially a full time role
Dr Heff’s ‘Remarkable Mints’ is the invention of 2 highly qualified UK dentists, based on the South Coast of England (Brighton and Eastbourne). Mike Heffernan and Toby Edwards-Lunn wanted to create a product which would help prevent and/or reverse the most common (and entirely preventable) disease in the world – tooth decay (which affects 3.5 billion people globally each year).
They found upon their formula in then had it scientifically tested in four dental research universities around the world.
Dr Heff’s is also accredited by Toothfriendly International.
The last 12 months has seen the brand have an entire ‘make over’, along with the website, packaging and ecommerce proposition (via Shopify). Three people from an FMCG background have also joined the Board, as well as investing in the Company.
The ‘new’ Dr Heff’s was (re)launched in September 2020 and sales have exceeded expectations.
We thought our strategy would be to target dental practices (dentists, hygienists) for them to recommend the product to their patients. But of course, CV19 has made that strategy difficult, with practices being closed for large parts of Q2 and dwell time in surgeries being eliminated for patients once practices re opened again. This has meant that we have had to develop our own B2C/DTC strategy using social media to build up awareness.
We will continue with our B2C/DTC strategy through 2021…but we feel that dental practices will open up gradually as the cv19 vaccine(s) gets rolled out. We are therefore looking for someone to help us execute our planned strategy of targeting:
- - Dental practices (dentists, hygienists)
- - Pharmacies (independent and small chains)
- - Care homes (independents and chains)
- - Health Food shops (independents and chains)
- - Charities (particularly cancer charities – the most common side effect of radiotherapy is ‘dry mouth’ and Dr Heff’s Mints can remedy this in the majority of cases)
Since the product was relaunched in September 2020, we have built up a good following on social media, largely due to the efforts of a digital marketer who has been working with us on a part time basis.
We now feel that the time is right to complement our digital marketing focus with the introduction of a dedicated sales/business development focus. This is the chance for an individual to join a small, values-based company which has invented a truly unique (and world first) functional product which is scientifically tested to improve the nation’s oral health. There is a direct and proven link between one’s oral health and their overall health (particularly for cardio-vascular diseases, diabetes and Alzheimer’s).
See this article for more information https://www.who.int/bulletin/volumes/83/9/editorial30905html/en/
This is an exciting role. You will be central in driving the sales performance of Dr Heff’s, by influencing/engaging dental practices, dental hygienists and other routes to market (eg pharmacies, care homes, health food shops) and by explaining the health benefits, securing sales. You will be keen to develop long-term partnership/collaborative relationships with our customers – they will value your customer-centric approach. You will have the autonomy to negotiate special offers with key partners.
While no business development role is easy, consumer research conducted in 2019 found that 65-70% of the adult population (18-75+ year olds) are concerned about oral health and/or interested in taking products like Dr Heff’s ‘Remarkable Mints’. Our job is to continue making the nation aware of Dr Heff’s and enable them to buy it as easily as possible. We have ambitious growth targets and we are keen to have dynamic people join our team to help us achieve them.
Tasks of the role:
- - Selling/promoting Dr Heff’s ‘Remarkable Mints’
- - Identifying businesses to contact
- - Following up email campaigns (inc. helping to write them)
- - Contacting the relevant person at each target business
- - Explaining benefits and features (sometimes in only a few minutes)
- - Offering appropriate discounts to achieve sales targets (but remaining commercially astute towards Dr Heff’s)
- - Database management and optimisation (eg identifying most valuable customers and rewarding them appropriately, contacting lapsed customers)
- - Proactively targeting industry leaders/influencers
- - Achieving sales targets (number of customers, number of repeat customers, number of subscriptions, sales value)
The ideal candidate will be able to tick many/most of the following criteria:
- - Experience working in the dental / oral health industry
- - Experience in selling a highly functional / well-being product
- - Be goals/target focused – commercially minded
- - Numerate – for example, able to quickly calculate profit margins and other similar financial information
- - Demonstrate excellent customer care/attentiveness
- - Embrace the same values that exist through the company (improving the health and well-being of the nation, empathetic, caring, being evangelical about our brand, going the extra mile, seeing the good in everyone)
- - Great telephone manner
- - Proficient at writing emails to prospects and customers
- - Team player
- - IT skills (CRM, Zoom, MS Office)
- - Knowledge of the issues facing the marketing place and able to explain the role Dr Heff’s plays
Reporting to: One of Dr Heff’s Directors / Shareholders
If this role interests you, and you think you can help support the growth of Dr Heff’s, then we would really love to hear from you.
Please email us on [email protected] explaining why you would be ideal for us. Please also attach a summary of your career thus far (ie CV).